Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Less is More: The Cake-Face Syndrome’s Cousin.


I've recently become aware of an alarming trend hitting the streets of Sydney, and I will admit, on occasions have found myself a casualty. It’s not Cake-Face Syndrome but I would definitely say they evolved from the same gene pool.

Cake-Face Syndrome’s Cousin: an ailment caused by an overzealous affection for beauty products and the combination of these, often uncomplimentary products, on one’s face in a single application. It may also be induced by the absence of a clear vision of the evenings look causing the sufferer to overcompensate and spiral down the path of no return. Unless one is wearing a helmet or vigilantly remains in the shadows, the affliction is immediately detectable.

It differs from its' cousin in the fact that it is usually inconsistent, affecting the sufferer in a period of brief uncertainty, rendering ones' will weak by an overwhelming choice of beauty products. The only cure is to establish a clear concept and stick to it. A clean dewy or matte finish speaks volumes, whilst a make-up ridden face leaves everyone confused and you not feeling your best.



Matte make-up: Does it even matter?

In the past I have been known to begin with a ‘natural’ aesthetic, applying light browns on the eyelids and bronzer on the cheeks. After a time I grow bored of waiting for my entourage, and of my appearance, and liberally apply liquid eyeliner (think Amy Winehouse type liberal). Soon a friend arrives sporting bright purple eye-shadow and I convince myself it will compliment my ‘natural’ theme smashingly, and by the time someone turns up with watermelon shade lipstick I resemble a toddler who’s taken crayon to the face.

An amazing amount of dew


I know first hand that repeating the mantra 'less is more' is a nice idea but not a long term resolution, in fact I’m yet to discover a cure for extreme fondness of make up products and application. I have however, discovered an adequate antidote. Bobbi Brown Instant Long-Wear Make-Up Remover is to skin what milk is to Oreos…a seriously amazing combination. It is easy on the eyes and has no problem erasing waterproof mascara without smudging it all over your face. The remover is laced with Jojoba oil which is perfect for delicate skin and is great as a moisturiser. This product soothes the eyes, which is ideal for numerous make up removals, and leaves you with a fresh new palette to work with.




A miracle: Bobbi Brown style

Although Bobbi Brown Instant Long-Wear Make-Up Remover wont cure your urges, it is very handy in ensuring no one else finds out about them. If you find yourself reaching for your eyeliner for the fifth time I suggest you look for other telling symptoms and put your make-up remover to good use, afterall, less is more.

1 comment: